Pregnancy Update: 27 Weeks

So…this has been a week.

Physical Symptoms

This will probably be a short section. Honestly nothing new to report. Baby continues to move a lot at weird times during the day. It seems like every time I want Josh to be able to see her moving my belly, she totally stops. It’s like she knows or something! I’ve also noticed that my hands and feet are starting to swell a little bit. I definitely drink enough water, so I reckon it’s just part of the deal. Pretty much the same deal as far as hip and back pain goes: I get stiff a lot and wake up periodically throughout the night to change positions, which makes me feel pretty tired during the day.

Emotional Symptoms

So, this is where things get pretty unpleasant this week. Yesterday, I had my last monthly appointment with the doctor before I’m supposed to start my every-two-week appointments. Well, we get in there and the lady at the front desk informs us that my doctor is leaving the practice, and because of that, the entire office is closing. As in, they’re not going to hire another OB, and the women’s clinic will be closing its doors at the end of the month.

Now…that is not super okay, for a lot of reasons. First of all, Josh and I both really loved our doctor. She was so wonderful and we both instantly clicked with her. It’s really disappointing to know that even if I find another doctor I like, it won’t be her. Secondly, it’s pretty late in my pregnancy to be trying to find another doctor. Most OBs that I’ve talked to normally wouldn’t even take a woman so late, if it was just that they wanted to change doctors. Everyone I’ve spoken to has been extremely sympathetic to my predicament, but they’re all such busy offices and it’s going to be tough to get me in within the next two weeks. Third, this means I’m going to have to deliver at a different hospital than what I originally planned. It’s not that it’s that big of a deal, but it’s just another thing that has changed without my consent. Josh and I have already signed up for a birthing class at that hospital, I have my pre-registration form all filled out…I was ready to go to deliver at that hospital. Now I don’t even know where I’m going to be able to go, and that’s really hard.

I don’t do well with change, especially a huge and unexpected change like this. So, after the lady told us this, we’re sitting in the waiting room and all of this is just going through my head. She gave me a list of other OBs that my current doctor compiled, and all I could do was stare at it and wonder if I would like any of them, or if any of them would even be able to take me at all. The waiting room was the most crowded I’ve seen it, and all I really wanted to do was cry because I was so overwhelmed, but I didn’t want to break down in an office full of people.

We had been waiting for a lot longer than usual, and without even calling me back, the nurse pops her head out of the window and tells me to drink the glucose drink and let her know what time I finished. She offered no explanation as to what I was about to do or why I was doing it, and I was extremely thankful that I happened to know what it was and what it was for. Otherwise, I would have pretty much been in the dark as to why I had to drink anything at all, or why they needed me to do it. They didn’t even tell me I was doing the glucose test today. She gave me the fruit punch one, and I chugged it because I didn’t want to sip that sickly sweet drink. As far as taste, I mean, it wasn’t the worst, but it was just so syrupy that it made me feel kind of gross.

Anyway, so I chug the drink and then we wait almost an hour to actually see my doctor. Within that hour they actually got me back in the room and did the heart rate and stuff, but the time between coming in and actually speaking to my doctor was around an hour, which is so unusual for that office. It normally moves so quickly and efficiently. I guess, maybe since they’re closing at the end of the month, things are a little crazy?

So we had our appointment and everything looks okay, but at this point I’m starting to get a little nervous, because at this office you have to go to a separate building to get lab work done, and I was rapidly approaching the hour mark since I drank the glucose. Further, the lab closes their doors at 5, and it was after 5 by the time our appointment ended. The office said they called and that the lab knew we were coming, but still. I wanted to get there as soon as possible.

We drive to the lab (and thank goodness we knew where it was because no one told us where to go), and we knock on the door as instructed. Someone comes up and tells us that all of the lab techs have left, and sorry, but we have to go. Just. COME ON. I was so frustrated by that point that I didn’t really know what to do, but thankfully Josh kept a much more level head about it. We drove back to the clinic, and they were confused, because they definitely called the lab, and there were people waiting on us. Basically, the lady at the lab lied to us and said no one was there even though there were people in the lab. I can’t fathom her reasoning for this, but whatever.

So we drove BACK to lab, where they were able to take my blood and everything was good, but just, I’m 27 weeks pregnant and I don’t need this kind of stress in my life. The lady who took my blood was so sweet, and really good at taking blood. She was fast, and I didn’t even really feel anything. We told her what happened, and she got really mad. It made us feel good to be justified in our annoyance.

After this, Josh and I stopped at Walmart to pick up a few things, and by the time we got there I think my blood sugar was crashing really bad. I just felt dizzy and clammy and like I couldn’t think straight, and I guess because of the brain fog, I didn’t really recognize the symptoms of what was happening. We got home, and thankfully my mom recognized the symptoms of a blood sugar crash and knew what to tell me to eat, but it was just an extremely frustrating day, and a perfect storm for someone like me who already struggles with anxiety.

I’ve called several offices this morning, and I’m waiting to hear back from one. I’m hopeful about this office because she seemed very determined to get me in, and I’m really thankful that she’s sympathetic to my predicament. I just want to know where I’m going and where I’m going to deliver so that I can get all of my ducks in a row. To be totally transparent, I’m stressed and frustrated, and honestly a little mad at my old clinic for not giving me a lot of time to figure something out. But, our baby is healthy and everything is okay with the pregnancy, so I’m thankful for that, and I’m just trying to remind myself that it’s all going to work out, and even if I hate my new OB, I’ll only have to see him for 3 months and it’ll all be over.



I got a call back from an office in Athens that was able to take me! I’ve spent the afternoon getting all of my ducks in a row, but I think it’s going to be good. I’m really relieved that I was able to get things resolved in less than 12 hours. Sometimes I surprise even myself but how quickly I can get things done when in a crunch. Also, unless I’m much mistaken, I’ll be delivering at Athens Regional, and as far as I know, people have had good experiences there. Thank you to everyone who offered advice, prayers, and good thoughts. I really, really believe that it made a difference.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s