Pregnancy Update: 28 Weeks

So you know how last week was really a week? This was a week too.

Physical Symptoms

Things haven’t changed too much on this front. Still the same hip pain, same fatigue, same very mild swelling. My wedding ring did start to get uncomfortable from my hands swelling, so I decided to take it off while I still could and I wear it around my neck now. So, things are pretty much good on this front!

Emotional Symptoms

Yeah, so this is where things start to get pretty interesting. On Monday, I started work at a kid’s arts camp at Emmanuel. I knew this was going to throw off my schedule anyway, but it especially threw off my schedule that first day because I forgot to set an alarm. I wasn’t late, but I had just enough time to jump out of bed, get a shower, and go. I didn’t even eat breakfast. Normally in the mornings, I like to lay in bed and make sure the baby is moving around and stuff, just to put my mind at ease. This particular morning, I knew that I wasn’t going to be able to get that time in, but I was just going to be extra conscious of her movements while I was moving around, if she wasn’t as active as she normally is, since I would be walking around and dancing and doing general camp stuff.

Sooooo the morning progressed and I started to notice that not only was she not moving much, she wasn’t moving at all. And I’d certainly had periods of inactivity, where I was just sitting in a chair and helping various classes. I tried eating a granola bar, and even a couple of pieces of candy, to see if the sugar would get her moving. Nothing. We had lunch. Nothing. By the time I’d let lunch settle for about 20 minutes I was really starting to get panicky. This was SO out of the ordinary. At this point I usually feel her on and off all day, even if they’re just small little movements and not everyone would be able to feel on the outside, I notice them.

Everything I’d ever read told me that if I noticed decreased movement, or just a change in the normal pattern, that I should call my doctor. I’d been texting all afternoon with Josh, and it was what he said to do too, so I called, but the whole office was going to be closed for like an hour for lunch. At that point I was having a full-blown panic attack, and I decided to go to the nearest emergency room, just to get checked out. My mom drove me and Josh left class in Athens to meet me there. I’m pretty sure he broke some kind of record because he got there SO fast. Anyway, the emergency room got me in really quickly, and I was so panicky by this time that all the stuff they did at the beginning is kind of a blur, but I do remember that my heart rate was somewhere in the 120 range. The triage nurse was like, “are you okay?” hahahahaha NO I was not okay.

I had one of those moments when I had to laugh through the panic because they took me up to the examination room in a wheelchair:


It felt so unnecessary and weird, and I felt bad for the nurse that had to push me around because it seemed to unnecessary. ANYWAY.

We made it up to the room and she strapped some fetal monitor on me, and we heard her heartbeat immediately, which is like instantaneous relief. Even if she wasn’t moving around, we knew that she was okay, and we also knew that if something wasn’t okay, we were in a hospital and they would know what to do. The nurse had me lay on my back and gave me this little instrument, and told me to press the button every time she moved around or kicked. I felt like I laid there FOREVER, but finally, finally, she gave a bunch of huge kicks all in a row and didn’t really settle down for an hour. Here’s a picture of the fetal monitors because I’m a nerd and I thought they were cool:


So, after about an hour  I was released and all is well. I don’t know why she was so oddly quiet for like 12 hours, but she’s back on her regular movement schedule now. Also, two appointments ago I asked my doctor when I needed to start kick counting, and she said I didn’t need to until like 36 weeks, but that seemed waaaaay too late to me, but whatever, she knows more than me. Well, after this incident I’ve started kick counting on my own, and the reassurance is so wonderful. I did a little bit of googling to see when most people start, and it seems to be around 28 weeks anyway, so I’m just going to go with my gut on this one and keep doing it. I’ve read a lot of stories about how kick counting ended up saving the baby’s life in certain situations, so I like having recorded evidence that she moves around every day.

So that’s this week’s big story! I really, really hope that next week is drama free!

PS, for your edification and enjoyment, here’s what baby is the size of this week:

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 5.26.44 PM


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s